Is the life you’re living an accident, or the result of conscious, purposeful choices? Enjoying a well earned retirement after 35 years as an engineer for a large aerospace company, Allison Sheridan brings the perspective of time and experience to the question of how women who are juggling family, career, and personal interests can manage the demands on their time by making intentional choices.
Choices for Productive Women
In this episode Allison shares her thoughts on how important it is for women to make conscious choices about their life, and to acknowledge that the choices are theirs to make. Remember that slavery is illegal! Rather than letting yourself fall into commitments and obligations that might or might not suit your priorities and goals, make conscious, considered choices about your life, your career, the commitments you take on.
One of the choices Allison has made for herself is a commitment to regular exercise, and she encourages other women to do likewise. We talked about why she thinks it’s so important for already-busy women to make time for exercise–not only is it important for women to protect their health for the sake of those who count on them, but it’s also something “selfish” you can do for yourself. And that’s okay!
Allison Sheridan is the host of the NosillaCast Mac Podcast – a technology geek podcast with an EVER so slight Macintosh bias – which has been running for 10 years with more than 500 episodes. The NosillaCast brings you Mac and iOS tips and tricks and tools, but also dives into photography and security and accessibility, among many other technology subjects. Allison produces the NosillaCast weekly as an audio podcast and an extensive blog, and she also broadcasts the creation of the show live on video every week to an audience who affectionately call themselves the NosillaCastaways. You may also have seen or heard Allison on Tech News Today and MacBreak Weekly on the TWiT Network, the Daily Tech News Show, Let’s Talk Photography and Let’s Talk Apple, the Mac Roundtable, Mac Geek Gab, Cordkillers, the Pocket Show and Mac Show on the British Tech Network, the SMR Podcast, as a screencaster on ScreenCasts Online and as a columnist in SCO Magazine.
Allison has a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and worked for a large aerospace company for 35 years. She ran a 170 person IT organization with budget responsibility for $50M/year. In her last few years she became an IT Fellow, the highest technical level possible in IT in the company. Allison is married with two children, a dog and a cat. She is a huge advocate of exercise, working out 7 days a week, even before she retired.
As she mentioned in the show, Allison uses the FitBit fitness monitor (as do I).
For more insight on the topic of choices Allison talked about, see this short article on “Shoulding Yourself, Shoulding Others.”
Special Thanks to Our Sponsor:
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- WONDERLAND: Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
- Resurrection Revealed: Resurrection podcast
- Under the Dome Radio: Under the Dome podcast
- The Sci-Phi Show: Science-fiction and philosophy
- Christian Meets World: Christian worldview and the everyday
I would love to have your help!
- Subscribe, rate, and review The Productive Woman in iTunes or subscribe in Stitcher.
- Join the conversation at The Productive Woman on Facebook.
- Your feedback matters to me. Please share your comments, questions, or suggestions.