Much of the quality of our life, including our productivity, depends on the habits we employ. In this episode we look at how schedules, routines, and rituals can help us establish habits that let us be more productive, achieve our goals, and build the life we want.
Schedule: “a plan for carrying out a process or procedure, giving lists of intended events and times”
- Ensures time is allotted to each project or task we need and want to do
- Lets us be more efficient by grouping similar activities
- Helps us build habits over time
The schedule is your friend. You can’t predict when you’ll have a stroke of genius and write a moving story, paint a beautiful portrait, or make an incredible picture, but a schedule can make sure that you’re working when that stroke of genius happens.”
Routine: “a sequence of actions regularly followed; a fixed program”
- Saves decision-making time
- Increases efficiency
- Makes psychological space for creativity
- Has a long-term impact–what we do regularly is more important than what we do occasionally
We are what we repeatedly do.
Ritual: “a series of actions or type of behavior regularly and invariably followed by someone”
- The difference between ritual and routine is mostly attitude; rituals are about mindfulness
- Can help us connect with ourselves, our feelings, our values
- Helps build motivation and focus by getting us in the right frame of mind
- For inspiration, check out Daily Rituals: How Artists Work, by Mason Curry.
A few things to keep in mind
- These are meant to be tools, not prisons
- There’s always room for flexibility and spontaneity
- Don’t try to change everything at once–initiate one new routine, practice until it becomes a habit, then add another
- Get ideas from what works for others, but don’t measure your success by how other people order their lives
How can I help you?
- Send your suggestions for topics and guests!
- I’d love to come to your women’s event to talk about productivity related (or other!) topics. Shoot me an email, or call me at 972.638.0308.
I would love to have your help!
- Subscribe, rate, and review The Productive Woman in Apple Podcasts or subscribe in Stitcher.
- Join the conversation at The Productive Woman on Facebook.
- Your feedback matters to me. Please share your comments, questions, or suggestions.
Royse City, Texas