Trying to balance business and small children? Wife, mom, and media business owner Izabela Russell and I had a great conversation about the challenges of operating a thriving business (or two!) while raising small children.
Building a Business and a Family?
It can be done, but it takes some organization, commitment, and a healthy perspective on what matters most. Izabela Russell is managing it in the U.K., where she runs a successful media company with her husband, manages the production of a large new media conference, and is raising two small children.
Some of Izabela’s tips:
- Start the day off right–a workout, or time to think and prepare for the day
- Breakfast really is the “most important event of the day” — check out the photos of her awesome breakfasts on her Instagram account
- When you’re in a time where the demands seem to be non-stop, take a moment to recognize that it’s just a season
- Take care of yourself–plan “little treats” for yourself
- Don’t be to proud to ask for help
- Consider the benefits of a vegan diet (see below for books she mentioned)
- Use your calendar consistently to manage commitments
- Guard family time
- When everything starts to overwhelm you or the day’s going wrong, take a long walk to clear the air and renew your perspective
Just do what you feel is right, and don’t worry about what other people think.
Resources Izabela Recommends
- Google calendar (shared with her husband) “If it’s not on the calendar, it’s not happening.”
- The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health. Also see the cookbooks based on this research, such as The China Study Cookbook: Over 120 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes,
- The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat
- Deliciously Ella (a blog about living and eating well)
A Little About Izabela
Izabela Russell works in the media and audio industry. She’s the founder of the New Media Europe conference, a unique event aimed at podcasters, bloggers, social media visionaries, content creators, entrepreneurs, and new media enthusiasts who are looking to up their game through the effective use of new media tools ‒ such as podcasting, blogging, and social media ‒ in their endeavors. Izabela also is a Managing Director and chief talent scout for Music Radio Creative, the media production company she runs with her husband Mike. Mike and Izabela and their two young children live on the Isle of Wight, in the UK.
Connect with Izabela
Special Thanks to Our Sponsor:
Click here to discover my favorite apps!
I would love to have your help!
- Subscribe, rate, and review The Productive Woman in iTunes or subscribe in Stitcher.
- Join the conversation at The Productive Woman on Facebook.
- Your feedback matters to me. Please share your comments, questions, or suggestions.