Even new moms can get things done! This week business owner, horsewoman, and new mom Jamie Clark Samples joins me to talk about the challenges of running a small business while caring for a new baby. Jamie offers some great suggestions and encouragement. (And don’t forget to scroll down to learn how you can participate in episode 25 and perhaps win a $25 Amazon gift card!)
Challenges to Productivity When Juggling Career and New Baby:
- Learning the value of saying no
- Focusing on work during work time
- Avoiding the temptations of social media
Keys to Overcoming the Challenges:
- Develop a great support system
- Set reasonable expectations
- Focus on getting the most important things done
- Learn to get comfortable with outsourcing – letting others do the things you’re not great at so you can spend your time where it’ll bring the most return
- Consider a virtual assistant service
Jamie shares her approach to getting back on track when the day falls apart or she’s overwhelmed.
“Find something positive, no matter what the situation.”
Remember why you do what you do.
Tools and Resources Jamie Uses and Loves:
- Basecamp – a great tool for collaborating with remote team members (60-day free trial!)
- Google calendar
- Paper & pencil!
- Hootsuite social media scheduler
- Bundlepost – social media curation and content marketing
- Send Out Cards – “Changing lives . . . one card at a time!”
- Constant Contact – “The easy, affordable way to reach your customers with email marketing.”
- Entrepreneur Magazine
- Picmonkey – online photo editing that anybody can use
Jamie’s Last Word:
“Remember, you are the only you out there.” Be you.
Jamie Clark Samples is one crazy country chic with a passion for marketing and social media. She is known for her contagious energy and never-ending smile. She started her riding career on a Welsh Pony when she was about 2 years old. She has participated in disciplines such as western, hunt seat, jumping, showmanship and trail riding throughout her show career. From starting her own business at age 13, to being awarded the sportsmanship award at the World’s Largest All Breed Youth Show at 14, her passion for horses and business just skyrocketed. In 2011 she was selected to be the co-anchor of America’s Favorite Trail Horse, which aired on HRTV in September of that year, and she currently is a guest blogger for the Equestrian Stylist. She is 36 years old now, still riding, president of her own company, Yellow Barn Media, and still riding a Welsh Pony! She prides herself in bringing out of the box ideas to the equine industry through creative social media strategies. Her company offers one-on-one social media coaching & complete management, brand development, networking training and marketing consulting.
Connect with Jamie:
- Website – sign up for her newsletter and download a free ebook full of helpful tips
- If you’re a horse person in the East Coast region of the U.S., find her as a speaker at Horse World Expo in Maryland in January. Be sure you let her know you heard her on The Productive Woman
Don’t Forget: Celebrate Episode 25 with Me!
What are your best tips for getting things done, making the most of your time and energy, and making a life that matters? I want to feature them in episode 25. Email your tips to email@example.com, or click on the button at the right to leave a voice message. (Remember if you have more than one tip to share, leave each one as a separate message, and start by telling me who you are–first name only is fine if you’re more comfortable with that–and where you’re from.) If you’re sharing a great productivity tool, be sure to tell us how to find it. From those who contribute a tip, either via email or voice message, by December 31, 2014, I’ll draw a name randomly for a $25 Amazon gift card!Click here to discover my favorite apps!
I would love to have your help!
- Subscribe, rate, and review The Productive Woman in iTunes or subscribe in Stitcher.
- Join the conversation at The Productive Woman on Facebook.
- Your feedback matters to me. Please share your comments, questions, or suggestions.