For many of us, the scariest thing in the world is letting others see the “real” us. But when we hide behind the mask of who we think we're supposed to be, we miss out on joy and deprive the world of the gifts only we can give. If being productive is about accomplishing the things we care about most and making a life that matters, then authenticity is key.
The World Needs You — the Authentic You
Being authentic means being and showing who we really are. This can be difficult, because we risk rejection. So many of us spend most of our lives trying to be the person we think others want or expect us to be. But when we feel unable to be our real, authentic selves, we're limiting our ability to accomplish the things that matter most to us. That's a loss for us, and it's a loss for the world that needs our unique voice, our unique contribution.
. . . the world needs us to show up and share our gifts. There is more risk hiding our gifts from the world than expressing them. Our unexpressed ideas, dreams and gifts don’t go away. They destroy our worthiness and confidence. ~ Tejal Patel
Be willing to forgive yourself for past mistakes and take that leap into pursuing that project you've dreamed about. Be who you are, do things your way, and change the world (or at least your little corner of it) for the better.
More great encouragement from Jennifer Lee, founder of Artizen Coaching®:
It can be tempting to just leverage templates, follow someone's step-by-step technique, or rely on boiler plate designs because you think that with those resources you're covered. That if you just do what everyone else is doing, you'll achieve the same results. But here's the thing. You're your own unique creative being with your own unique voice and message. Boiler plate will only get you so far. At some point you need to think for yourself and trust your own voice.Let go of what you “think you have to do” or are “supposed to look like” to be “successful.” Instead lean into your creative intuition and authentic expression – that's where the real magic happens.Be willing to say the thing that no one is saying, to paint the images that only you can paint, to run your business and live your life the way only YOU can.
Tool of the Week
Try Headspace, a web-based service that offers guided meditations that can help you learn to relax, focus, become more mindful. They offer a free trial and apps for your mobile devices.
For More Information
- “3 Thorny Obstacles to Being Authentic,” by John Amodeo, PhD
- “Becoming More Authentic: Accept Yourself and Stop Seeking Approval,” by Tejal Patel
- If you're trying to launch or develop your own business or just want a boost in your creative thinking, check out the work of Jennifer Lee at Artizen Coaching®. She's written some really awesome books, like The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success and Building Your Business the Right-Brain Way: Sustainable Success for the Creative Entrepreneur. Fun to read, and both inspiring and practical. Highly recommended!
What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please share in the comments below or email me.
Special Thanks to Our Sponsor:
Click here to discover my favorite apps!
I would love to have your help!
- Subscribe, rate, and review The Productive Woman in iTunes or subscribe in Stitcher.
- Join the conversation at The Productive Woman on Facebook.
- Your feedback matters to me. Please share your comments, questions, or suggestions.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy