Writer Karin Beery joins me to talk about staying productive when facing health challenges and caring for family members. She offers great tips and suggestions. I especially liked her perspective on how to handle those days when everything gets away from you.
Karin Beery grew up along the Lake Michigan shoreline, the product of a small farming community. An athlete, musician, thespian, and Tetris master, she graduated valedictorian of her high school class before earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Hillsdale College.
A life-long reader and writer, she wrote a novel in 2007 after her husband’s cancer diagnosis. As she pursued publication she realized the truth—she knew nothing about the publishing industry. That realization started a five-year education that birthed a love for writing and editing.
Karin started working for a local weekly paper in 2009. Today she has more than 450 articles published and five completed novel manuscripts. She recently signed on as a client of WordWise Media, a literary agency that is helping her pursue a publisher for her first novel.
She is an active member in the American Christian Writers Associations, the American Christian Fiction Writers Associations, the Christian Proofreaders and Editors Network (PEN), and the Evangelical Press Association, and continues to study her craft through various classes and conferences. Karin also helps others by offering writing, editing, and coaching services. Whether writing her own pieces or helping others perfect theirs, Karin has found her passion and talent in the written word.
Karin and her husband Matt recently celebrated their ninth wedding anniversary. They make their home in Michigan with their cats, Bucket and Midge, and Karin's aunt Linda, a special-needs woman who loves Detroit sports and animals. Karin writes about Life with Linda and invites you to check in there to learn more.
Connect with Karin
Resources Karin recommends
“Regarding resources, I'm all about my Franklin Planner – if it's not in my planner, I won't remember it. I know it's pretty old school, but I love it.”
- “For the adrenal fatigue I'm following the regimen set up by my naturopathic doctor. I'm currently reading more about it at The Adrenal Fatigue Solution. I plan to start using essential oils to treat it as well. I just started using oils this past year and have had amazing results treating other health issues (the flu, stomach bugs, and PMS/cramps). I use doTerra oils and refer to the Everything Essential website when I need to know how to treat things with essential oils.”
- Recommended books for writers
- The Art & Craft of Writing Christian Fiction (Jeff Gerke)
- Plot versus Character (Jeff Gerke)
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition: How to Edit Yourself Into Print (Renni Browne & Dave King)
I would love to have your help!
- Subscribe, rate, and review The Productive Woman in iTunes or subscribe in Stitcher.
- Join the conversation at The Productive Woman on Facebook.
- Your feedback matters to me. Please share your comments, questions, or suggestions.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy